Tuesday, November 18, 2008

the entertainment



As of yesterday my knowledge of Max Tundra was limited to his Van Halen-by-way-of-Glasgow remix of Franz Ferdinand's "Do You Want To?" and an even more curious, but weirdly awesome, cover of "So Long, Farewell". Yes, that "So Long, Farewell", from The Sound of Music. So I did know that he had a pop sensibility that could be fairly described as completely fucking out there, but that's about it. Anyway, a month or so ago nodata.tv posted his third studio album, Parallax Error Beheads You, and intrigued by an LP from the British musician I downloaded it. And never once listened to it. Flash forward to yesterday, when ::hangs head:: Pitchfork posted a glowing review of the album, inspriring me to give it a spin. And fuck me if I'm not hooked. Like, haven't listened to anything else since hooked. My technical knowledge of music is pretty much limited to what I think sounds cool, so I'm not going to try to go into what makes this record so special, how it seems so random yet so tightly produced at the same time, how it works its way into your head and makes what at first seemed so bizarre seem so, well, normal (in a wacked out electronic sort of way), how you really need to download it (for free) even though I could see this instantly turning off a lot of (lame) people. Instead I'll, as per normal, post a track below and let you decide how awesome it is (hint: really awesome).


Max Tundra, "Which Song"

No comments: