Sunday, September 7, 2008

chillamping

Couple quick musically minded things. First and foremost, I know that I've mentioned it already, but Skeletal Lamping is kind of the shit. And I can't stop listening to it. It's the reason Of Montreal has surpassed Santogold to take the number 2 spot on my last.fm. And it's filthy filthy filthy. About the album, which isn't being released until October 7 but is available on any number of torrent sites (and nodata.tv), frontman Kevin Barnes had this to say:

i wanted to make a record that could truly surprise a listener. to create something that was, in turns, enraging, joyous, discomforting, playful, lovely, unpleasant, freaky, mesmeric…something that came close to capturing the labyrinthine complexity of this human consciousness.

i spend most of my time in a state of mild confusion and pensiveness. i imagine most people do too. this record is my attempt to bring all of my puzzling, contradicting, disturbing, humorous…fantasies, ruminations and observations to the surface, so that i can better dissect and understand their reason for being in my head. hence the title, Skeletal Lamping. Lamping is the name of a rather dreadful hunting technique where, hunters go into the forest at night, flood an area in light, then shoot,or capture,the animals as they panic and run from their hiding places.

this album is my attempt at doing this to my proverbial skeletons. i haven’t yet decided if i should shoot or just capture them though.
Can't fucking wait for that show. And speaking of concerts in October (of which there are several), I managed to dig up a video of Lykke Li performing an acoustic version of "I'm Good, I'm Gone." On its own it's undeniably great. But then they go and throw Robyn into the mix. Then, well, shit's kind of off the chain.

No comments: