Tuesday, July 8, 2008

music sounds better w/ stu

As much as I loathe to perpetuate a blogosphere meme (just cringed while typing that), I can't ignore something that was promoted by the AV Club and that gives me an excuse to write about something other than faded stars of faded television shows being electrocuted by very non-faded tasers. Basically, the idea here is to pick a favorite album from every year you've been alive, and the approach I've taken is what I'd like were I as cool as (I think) I am now back when the album was released. I did cheat a bit in my more formative years, seeing as I had a musical point of view back then that in some respects differed from mine now, so I gave in and included two albums. This is probably most noticeable for 1995, where 1995-me questionably chose Tragic Kingdom over The Bends, though that's not to say I don't still think it's a fantastic album (and certainly 2008-me's second favorite). Also of note would be 2001 - probably surprising to most that I didn't pick Amnesiac, but that came across as more of a collection of (often brilliant) Kid A b-sides, whereas Discovery was nothing short of a revelation. Anyway, enough about me, onto, um, my list. Enjoy.

1982: Madonna, Madonna
1983: New Order, Power, Corruption & Lies
1984: The Smiths, The Smiths
1985: The Smiths, Meat Is Murder
1986: The Smiths, The Queen Is Dead
1987: New Order, Substance
1988: Joy Division, Substance
1989: Madonna, Like a Prayer
1990: Depeche Mode, Violator
1991: Massive Attack, Blue Lines
1992: Aphex Twin, Selected Ambient Works: 85-92
1993: Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream/Blur, Modern Life Is Rubbish
1994: Nine Inch Nails, The Downward Spiral/Blur, Park Life
1995: Radiohead, The Bends/No Doubt, Tragic Kingdom
1996: Aphex Twin, Richard D. James/The Fugees, The Score
1997: Radiohead, OK Computer
1998: Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
1999: Sigur Ros, Agaetis byrjun
2000: Radiohead, Kid A
2001: Daft Punk, Discovery
2002: Interpol, Turn On the Bright Lights
2003: Radiohead, Hail to the Thief
2004: The Streets, A Grand Don't Come for Free
2005: Sufjan Stevens, Illinois Art Brut, Bang Bang Rock and Roll
2006: The Knife, Silent Shout
2007: Radiohead, In Rainbows
2008: Cut Copy, In Ghost Colours

After reviewing the list once more I can't help but notice how fun I would have been to hang out with in the mid-80s, especially if you enjoy sadness. And cutting.

No comments: