Wednesday, February 6, 2008

recognize bitches


I feel it is my duty to alert my dear readers to a sure to be awesome show that is opening up this Friday at the National Portrait Gallery. Recognize!: Hip Hop & Contemporary Portraiture, featuring works by painter Kehinde Wiley, photographer David Scheinbaum, and graffiti artists Tim Conlon and Dave Hupp, aims to capture the visual aspect of the movement, the "powerful images that both celebrate and explore the complexity of this creative form." I'll admit, I'm personally not the biggest fan of the genre, but a quick survey of the website makes clear that, personal preference aside, the art on display is, well, really fucking cool. Furthermore, I feel it is also my duty to alert my dear readers that I will be attending the opening party for the exhibition - at which I will be wearing a hot outfit and getting inappropriately intoxicated - and you will not. Unless you're name is Eddie. And you're Latino. Also, Kehinde Wiley's (seriously, check out his stuff on the website - not to be missed) first words to me when we met last year: "So you're the one who booked me the shitty hotel." We're totally tight.

No comments: