Monday, February 25, 2008

2000007

I really hate discovering albums that I missed last year, but better late than never I guess. This time it's Modeselektor, a Berlin-based electronic duo who masterfully, and playfully, combine elements of electro, glitch-hop, IDM and hip-hop to create some of the most sophisticated yet fun music I've heard in a while. But it's not really their greatness that makes my discovering them so surprising, it's the fact that Thom Yorke has been adamant about how amazing they are, going so far as to put them on his iTunes playlist and play them during his guest DJ stint on NPR. And shit, he even guests on the newer of their two albums, Happy Birthday, which I am currently jamming right now along with their debut LP, Hello Mom!, which I hear is actually better but with which I haven't spent nearly as much time as the former. Below is a song from Happy Birthday, and while it might not be the best song on the album, and while it might not be exactly representative of the whole of their music, it does illustrate well the amalgam of different styles they exhibit. Plus it's really fucking fun. Enjoy!

No comments: