Tuesday, September 16, 2008

OD'ing on your cocksucker blues

So Of Montreal's Skeletal Lamping is reaching In Rainbows levels in terms of how much I listen to it, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if they surpass Radiohead on my top artists on last.fm (not necessarily accurate, but oh well), and in the interest of not burning myself out on what is looking more and more like my pick for best of 2008 (sorry Cut Copy and Hot Chip!) I've tried to not listen to it, ya know, all the fucking time. So what have I chosen to listen to instead? Icons, Abstract Thee, the band's EP they released along side Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? Sadly the album contains only 20 minutes of music (including the epic, "Past Is a Grotesque Animal"-esque closing track "No Conclusion"), 20 minutes in which its parent LP's themes of romantic anguish are distilled into 5 awesome(ly depressing) tracks, the second of which, "Voltaic Crusher/Undrum to Muted Da," I've posted below.


Of Montreal, "Voltaic Crusher/Undrum to Muted Da"

And what do I do when its painfully short running time has expired and my Of Montreal fix isn't satiated? I listen to Skeletal Lamping. For the umpteenth fucking time. Hey, at least I'm changing it up a little.

No comments: