Thursday, June 26, 2008

thank you, sigur ros...

...for changing your style so radically on your new album that it's actually, dare I say it, somewhat of a summer record. That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed all of your records in all seasons, but it's kind of a given that their more airy, ethereal style epitomized by Ágætis byrjun was somewhat more evocative on a cold winter day than in the heat of summer, no surprise considering the whole Iceland thing. But here things have changed, acoustic guitars in place of electronics, the bow technique all but absent, changes that at first made me reluctant to even listen at all (comparisons to Animal Collective, even though I like some of their stuff, didn't help either). But I did, on the somewhat miserably hot walk to work this morning, and truth be told, I'm fucking in love, and find it much more interesting than, in my opinion, the somewhat disappointing Hvarf-Heim.


Sigur Ros, Vid spilum endalaust

Anyway, thanks for not letting me down. And Jonsi, get rid of your weird looking boyfriend. I'd totally move to Iceland for you. Also, thank you (and Ryan McGinley) for giving me the opportunity to have (male) butts at the top of my blog for an indefinite amount of time.

No comments: