Friday, June 27, 2008

kleer it up

Pitchfork finally reviewed Kleerup's debut album, which I have annoying gushed about for the past month or so, today, giving it a solid 7.6. Also finally reviewed, Girl Talk's Feed the Animals, which received a more respectable 8.0. This, sadly, angers me. I know, like a lot of people, I got pretty pumped about the new Girl Talk record, dropping mentions of it any chance I could get. But now? In all honesty, unlike Kleerup, which I jam at least two or three times a week, I just don't have any real urge to listen to it. Something gets lost in the sheer breadth of samples, novelty getting in the way of, to paraphrase my friend Leeza, recontextualization as a dance record. It's certainly no Night Ripper. Don't get me wrong though, I still greatly appreciate what he does, and I am much looking forward to seeing him in B'more next month, but honestly? I'd give it a 7.0. And Kleerup? 8.6. You see what I did there?

No comments: