Thursday, December 14, 2006

everybody else is doing it, so why can't me?

Well, it's about that time - almost the end of the year, and no more records coming out that would feasibly be in my top 10. So, without further ado:

Stuart's Top 10 Albums of 2006 (In Which the Protagonist Shows Why You Should Let Him DJ at Your Next Party)
NOW WITH MP3s - HUZZAH!

1. The Knife, Silent Shout: There wasn't a doubt in my mind that this would inevitably end up my favorite of the year. If you haven't listened you're quite possibly retarded - consider our friendship on hiatus.
"Marble House"
2. Junior Boys, So This Is Goodbye: Noticing a trend? 2006 was a great year for electronic music (in my less-than-informed opinion), and this list reflects that. Again, haven't listened? Hiatus.
"In the Morning"
3. Radiohead, Live 2006: Okay, a bit of a cop-out. As every human should be aware, Radiohead did not release an album in 2006, but what they did do was perform enough new songs in concert to put together one helluva an LP. My thanks to the geeks with the ridiculously expensive recording equipment, and to Radiohead for "releasing" some of the best material of the year.
"Videotape" (Live in Los Angeles)
"Bangers and Mash" (Live in Los Angeles)
"15 Step" (Live in Copenhagen)
"Bodysnatchers" (Live in Copenhagen)
4. Thom Yorke, The Eraser: So yeah, I'm a tad bit biased, get over it. Still, a stellar album from, in my opinion, the greatest frontman of our generation. And if you get the chance, check out the remixes - they're the tits.
"The Clock" (Surgeon Remix)
"Analyse" (Various Remix)
5. The Blow, Paper Television: A relatively new addition to my 2006 repertoire, and one I'm quite surprised I didn't find earlier. Short, sweet, and perfect in every feasible way.
"Fists Up"
6. Hot Chip, The Warning: I admittedly expected this to be my top "fun, bouncy electro album" of 2006, but it was not meant to be (see above). Still, bloody good shite if I may say so myself.
7. Lily Allen, Alright, Still: Given, I haven't listened to this album in its entirety in about three months, but only due to its inherently summery nature. And though it criminally lacks the stellar "Nan You're a Windowshopper," it still deserves a place on this list.
8. The Streets, The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living: Nowhere near the awesomeness of Grand Don't Come for Free, but still, it's fucking Mike Skinner, he's getting a place on the list. And the beats are fucking hot.
9. The Scissor Sisters, Ta-Dah: Again, not as good as it's predecessor, but still a whole lot better than it got credit for. I mean, seriously, what's not to love? Wankers.
10. Peter, Bjorn & John, Writer's Block: An even newer addition than the blow, and one I have admittedly not fully digested, so I'm not gonna say much. Just give it a listen, ja?

No comments: